Saturday, October 1, 2011

Serum Saturday: Aveda Enbrightenment Brightening Correcting Serum

$50.00 for 1.0 fl oz
It's been two weeks of lack-lustre serums for the blog, but hopefully we'll get out of the dumps soon, or at least as soon as I can get some samples to try some more. I'm really interested in trying the DiorSnow brightening products, but they are currently extremely far out of my price range (anywhere from $50-$125, YIKES!). One thing remains the same for Serum Saturday, however, and that is my never-ending quest for a hyper-pigmentation treatment that's worth its salt.

Enter Enbrightenment: a line specifically designed for reducing hyper-pigmentation and renewing that damaged skin to its natural healthy glow. Enbrightenment's key ingredient is naturally derived salicylic acid (a beta-hydroxy, if anyone's wondering) which increases the turnover of skin cells in the area of use. In layman's terms, it keeps your skin exfoliating itself so new skin comes to the surface. It's a very nice thought that such a natural product will do more to improve your skin than a synthetic form of the same ingredients, but my biggest problem with this serum is beyond ingredients--to get close to the results I wanted, I had to use the toner along with this serum.

That may not sound like a big deal, I mean, if you are looking for skincare that does something specific. Enbightenment Toner cost another $42 for 5.0 fl oz, which brings us to nearly $100 for results that aren't all that great for me. Yes, these products work, but I cannot afford that long-term of an investment at the moment. Because my skin is so oily and needs to be slowly transitioned to richer product (or richer products used only intermittently) my results will not be truly visible before I have to repurchase. It's just too costly for the time it takes.

One bottle of Aveda Enbrightenment Correcting Serum lasted me about three and a half months when used morning and night. Since my pigmentation comes from healing acne scars and I still break out, new pigment appears before I see significant healing or improvement of old hyper-pigmentation. The cycle makes the whole line necessary to really grab the pigment by the melanin, but the price makes it impractical for me.

Bottom line: worth the money for a more natural product that works, but not in my budget to use practically.
Beauty Newb Rating:✪✪✪✪✩
Available at Aveda and partner salons and spas, and online at Aveda.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment