Monday, September 12, 2011

A Double Whammy From Britain--Rimmel Max Volume Flash and Soft Kohl

$7.49 for 0.29 oz mascara and 0.04 oz pencil
Since I've finished school and been on the hunt for a job, I've definitely been pinching my product purchasing pennies, so when I found a 'free gift' package on the Rimmel display, I grabbed it fast! I don't know that I needed or even wanted the two products included (well, I was looking for a new mascara), but man, am I glad I stopped to try them out.

Rimmel The MAX Volume Flash Waterproof Mascara had me a little worried upon first try; my lashes looked like absolutely nothing had been done to them which is not a good sign :-/ Then I took a moment to swish the wand around quite a bit around the sides of the tube, and presto! Beautiful volume!!! I'm excited by this mascara because it isn't overdone, i.e. it gives volume but not "I'm wearing fake lashes" volume. That always makes me feel like I'm trying too hard...or at least that I look like I'm trying too hard. Also, even though it is waterproof, it is not that hard to remove and doesn't seem to be as harsh on my lashes or in smell (because sometimes the smell will sting my eyes upon application).
Wearing Rimmel Soft Kohl Jet Black and Volume Flash The Max Waterproof on eyes, and Burberry Lip Glow in Nude Beige on lips
Next, Rimmel Soft Kohl Kajal Eye Liner Pencil in 061 Jet Black seems to be a very  soft pencil that needs to be cajoled into staying put on my oily lid and moisturizes under-eye! After priming my lids with Mac Soft Ochre Paint Pot, I started with a very messy line and smudged it out. Just along the edge of that smudge I patted a generous amount of flesh-toned shadow to help keep it 'clean'. For the bottom, I did the same line/smudge procedure but then put under-eye brightener/concealer and powdered the whole area to set. For now, it's holding very well, and luckily, my allergies have held up so instinct is not to rub furiously at itchy eyes! :-)  Finally, I put a generous amount on my waterline, you know, for emphasis.

What can I say, I was feeling smoldering!

Soft Kohl is well pigmented but because it is meant to smudge, some pigmentation fades very quickly the thinner you make the product. However, it does layer, so you can smudge out edges and reapply at the desired points of emphasis to keep a bolder look, just set, set, set, with powder afterwards!
Wearing Rimmel Soft Kohl Jet Black and Volume Flash The Max Waterproof on eyes, and Burberry Lip Glow in Nude Beige on lips
Final thought: worth the money, but keep in mind that the low price sort of warrants the longer time in flawless application. Yes, I use more than just these products to make a look, but it's nice to have a standard black pencil and waterproof mascara that I can handle and know how to control to my taste. I'm sold.

Beauty Newb Rating:✪✪✪✩✩
Available at drugstores such as CVS and Target or online at Rimmel.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment