Saturday, September 17, 2011

e.l.f. Under Eye Concealer and Highlighter- 2 products for 3 bucks and a "meh"!

$3.00 USD for 0.34oz/10g
As many of my other posts on e.l.f. products have shown, I'm not sure whether I rate and review products differently all together because of its price/brand. Knowing that eyeslipsface products are meant to be held to the 'higher standard' (or the standard of a higher price range) but cost a lower price, I can imagine, that while not entirely without bias, I am giving a pretty accurate description of how well the product works and what it is worth to me.

I mention all this because e.l.f. Under Eye Concealer & Highlighter is one of those products that I want to describe correctly to show it's real worth. Does this product work? Yes, in many ways it does, but does it work better or as good as more expensive alternatives? No, I don't really think so.

First, the formula of both of these products is a little thinner than I expected. If you haven't noticed, a good rule of thumb with concealers are two things need to be present: thickness and pigment. Even if a formula is really pigmented, too thin of a consistency will mean that blending moves coverage away from areas you want; if a concealer is thick but lacks pigment, you have to layer and layer to get coverage and end up with patches of your face or body looking like you slapped a wax sticker on them. This concealer/highlighter is the former: it has decent and tone-correct pigment but too thin a consistency to concentrate the coverage. If I put this concealer all over my face, I would call it a good foundation, but this whole tube would only cover my face twice before being empty.
e.l.f. Under Eye Concealer & Highlighter; Concealer above, Highlighter below


Second, my beef lies with the Highlighter portion of this dual-wand. When I think highlighter, I think light-reflective (sometimes shimmery, but mostly not), and luckily, this isn't shimmery. However, the highlighter is not very light reflective either until you put about three thin layers on, but even this won't do anything without direct sunlight smacking you in the face. With the formula so thin, this pure-white liquid would be better off having SPF in it, or just being called a moisturizer--that's about all it does.
Concealer above, Highlight below
Have you ever found yourself just using a product that doesn't really work as if it did, i.e. applying it to the correct spots and very carefully blending it out, etc.? That's what I do with these products.
Wearing e.l.f. Under Eye Concealer and Highlight
Oh, and yes I have been using the concealer all over my face in different spots because the pigment is not so much that it covers all of the darkness under my eyes. I'm also too afraid of putting too much of this on and letting it wrinkle into some very, very fine lines I have just below my lower lash line. Perhaps with so thin a formula, the moisture and texture of it will not settle into lines, but you're sacrificing a whole lot of coverage in order to do that...tisk, tisk.

Beauty Newb Rating:✪✪✪✩✩
Available at Target and on eyeslipsface.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment