Friday, September 23, 2011

Lotus Bio-Mineral Pressed Foundation SPF 20

$30.00 for 9g or 0.32 oz

I bought this in Fair 1 to see how fair I could actually be considered, and sadly, I am this pale. I have stronger yellow undertones than this foundation does, and in summer I was most definitely too dark for this (can anyone say Fair 2?). However, it could be my powder foundation for the rest of autumn/winter easily!

Packaging: At first this gunmetal and silver compact reminded me of my Burberry foundation and eyeshadow (adore that packaging) but upon handling it more, it's not only lightweight but can feel very plastic-y in places, as though a good accidental ding might crack it. The compact does not come with an applicator and the mirror-lid is too thick to allow you to squeeze your own sponge or teeny-tiny brush in there. Bummer too. The powder can get kicked up when using a brush and if you don't use all that kick-up then the powder gets on the mirror when you close it. I, personally, don't think I'll be carting this around at all for fear that the powder will crack and get everywhere. However, this is far more convenient for me than the loose powder foundation--infinitely better!
(I've subsequently de-potted this and put it into one of my Z-Palettes.)
without makeup on skin (only on eyes)
wearing Aveda Apricot Whisper on cheeks, Aveda Amazonia Bronzer on temples and below blush as contour, Lotus Mineral Foundation, Estee Lauder Sumptuous Mascara, Aveda Shadow Trio in Twilight on eyes, and Dior Addict Lipstick in Basic on lips

Formula: It's a powder--I'm getting that out right now because all I have to say about this is directly related to the obvious fact that it is a pressed powder foundation. The coverage is sheer to light, not too buildable unless you use a little concealer brush and be very careful. I noticed that because I put this powder all over my face that there was no dewy or natural finish anywhere on my face, which looked a little flat without some blush, highlighter, etc. I don't think a matte lip would look good with this at all. What I have a problem with is that this powder finish does not really meld to the skin and become more natural (like I think my BareMinerals does). It's not the description I'm looking for, but Lotus Pressed Foundation seems to sit on top of my skin and never really adhere to it. When there was finally oil on my skin at the end of the day, this powder mixed with it and started to crease. Yuck! Mind you, this is after 12 hours and no touch ups! No blotting either, so it lasts the amount of time you would want to not have to touch it up.
I find Lotus Foundation is best applied with my e.l.f. Studio Powder Brush
If you are looking for a totally natural and portable coverage product, I don't believe you have to look much farther than Lotus. So far, I have not encountered a natural product that doesn't take a little more patience and maintenance; this foundation is good for the quality/content and does what I need a product to do--cover stuff!

Beauty Newb Rating:✪✪✪✩✩
Available from LotusCosmeticsUSA.com

No comments:

Post a Comment