Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Bummer Bullet But A Beauty Find! e.l.f. Essentials Lipstick

Listen up, kids, I have a sad, sad tale to tell you. One day, filled with excitement, I received a huge package filled with goodies from EyesLipsFace. Upon opening every single little gem, I decided to test a color of lipstick--a glorious little pink lipstick I had been waiting two weeks for. The air thick with anticipation, my heart fluttering, my lips ready, I pressed the bullet to them. The kiss of the cosmetic was sensational, so slowly I started to sweet it across my bottom lip when the whole of the exposed bullet broke off and was flung into my lap.

"Well, balls," I said audibly. But I did quickly remember my little jars for de-tubing and promptly popped the butchered bullet in one. Still a sad story for anyone who has a love for the esthetic of makeup, but not the end of the world. So is this an indication of poor quality? No, it was my own fault for twisting the bullet up too much and pressing too hard.
e.l.f. Lipstick in Classy (left) and Gypsy (right)

Now the formula on these is not particularly drying or moisturizing, but the most notable quality is how long the product needs to warm up on lips. I find using the Lip Defining Brush the best for really working the product onto lips; that helps it apply evenly and stay there for about four hours. The results are semi-opaque coverage that seems to glow on the lips, in a flattering way, so instead of feeling like color is painted on me, I feel accented and light. I wore Gypsy yesterday with Hypershine Gloss in Joy on top, and this was the result.
e.l.f. Gypsy Lipstick under Joy Hypershine Gloss
Classy is a lavender tinted, light rosy-pink that pales my lips down a bit, but feels smooth and youthful. I feel a little above natural in the color, but it does seem to add a little something to my complexion. Gypsy is a rosy-purple that blends more fuchsia-pink when applied. It's not overpowering, but it could wear you instead if you let it. 

I am certainly going to buy all the other colors from this because even though they look kinda scary in the tube, they do look good on (and I don't use liner underneath to make it last, don't need to). Since the broken bullet has found a nice home in a palette with some samples of Dior Rouge, I think it's safe to say that I consider this product worthy of a look. In fact, they're worthy of many, many looks.
the lower, center two wells are filled with e.l.f. Classy Lipstick
Other colors I'm looking forward to trying are Seductive and Posh, both in the red family, as far as I can tell from online, warmer skin tones should look better in Seductive, and cooler in Posh (orange-base and blue-base respectively). There are several others worth a look at eyeslipsface.com, where these are available for puchase.

Beauty Newb Rating:✪✪✪✩✩
The Baby of Beauty

Ugh, why do Wednesdays end up being so painful to get through? I'm just not feeling well today on top of that, so I hope these posts turn out ok. I feel "not all there" right now. Also, really want to commend dani@callitbeauty for an excellent post on "What is Beauty?" Check it out if you get the chance. I agree with most everything she says on the subject. How's your Wednesday going? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment