Friday, February 11, 2011

Shimmer Me Timbers- e.l.f.'s Shimmering Facial Whips are Super Versatile and only $1!


As a relative 'noob' to the cosmetic world, I have been struggling to find my place on the grand scale of how much shimmer I actually like on my face and skin. To be honest, big glitter and super shine are NOT my cup of tea, and drama make-up is a very rare occurrence outside of my front door (for me, but shh, I do it in secret...for practice...yes, practice only). Though I also have found a deep and passionate love for Chanel and Dior (Me <3 Dior and the Diva Points Program), I have to share my new favorite and go-to product for highlight, blush, definition (I'm also thinking bronze glow), and all-day care free one-time application: eight shades of pure creativity in these Shimmering Facial Whips from e.l.f.!

e.l.f. Shimmering Facial Whips in Spotlight, Lilac Petal, Golden Peach, Citrus, and Pink Lemonade
First, the beauty of these is a great range that can be applied sheerly to quite opaque. I personally own and use five shades: (from left) Spotlight, Lilac Petal, Golden Peach, Citrus, Pink Lemonade; and there are three others: Camilia, Persimmon, Toasted. Their consistency is rich and creamy, which at first made me nervous for blending out the richer colors.


Now, a breakdown of the colors I have.

I have Spotlight in e.l.f.'s All Over Color Stick as well, which is a great subtle highlighter on my fair-light skin. The Shimmering Facial Whip in Spotlight is a stronger highlighter, perhaps more for the night-life and boogying than day wear. This whip is a pearly white with the same finish.

Lilac Petal was my sole blush and highlighter taken on my Christmas vacation (and I am currently thinking of using this to create a MAC Champale dupe-look). It gave me a nice glow at my cheekbones and let my natural flush come through (while keeping my cheeks from drying out in the chilly winds). Lilac Petal is pale pink with very pearly light pink finish, not over-powering, just noticable. I highly recommend this one, especially layered in between foundation and a powder blush, i.e. make your matte blushes pop on your cheeks.
Left to Right: Spotlight, Lilac Petal, Golden Peach, Citrus, and Pink Lemonade in daylight
Golden Peach was one of the biggest surprises of this line so far; I thought this color would look ridiculous or be way too pigmented, but it blends out smooth as silk and gives me the slightest of golden glows. Golden Peach is a lightly bronzed coral with a golden bronze sheen/finish that gives me a “healthy” glow more than pure color payoff, though I apply it sheerly. After two thin layers on my cheek, it becomes one with my natural flush and is utterly lovely.

Citrus is perhaps the most versatile for all skin-tones, which also makes it the most likely one that you have other colors like it. I can't quite describe whether this is warm or cool because the color is a sort of lightly blued pink with a warmer true pink pearly finish. It's just darn pretty. If you want a creamy color for the winter months that will catch the light and give depth to your skin, this is an excellent budget-friendly option.

Left to Right: Spotlight, Lilac Petal, Golden Peach, Citrus, and Pink Lemonade with flash
Lastly, Pink Lemonade is a pigment-packed whopper of a whip and has truly more color than shimmer compared to the other four here reviewed. As it's name suggests, Pink Lemonade is a deeper pink than citrus with a deeper pink finish, making it more blush than highlight. This is quite a heavy color for my winter-fair skin, but on darker (light-dark) skin it will show nicely and blend effortlessly.

Because the Whips consistency is thicker, I usually apply these with the same brush that I use for foundation. The leftover product helps smooth out edges and distributes an even, thin layer. Just a pine nut sized dot will give you medium color on light skin. A sesame seed sized dot will thinly cover one cheek for fair skin (me!!!), so this should give you a good idea of how much to use.

e.l.f. Shimmering Facial Whip in Citrus on cheeks
These Whips can also be used to put shimmer at your collarbone and shoulders for more oomph to your evening (or sexy top), and I have used them to highlight above my temples, the bridge of my nose, and my chin. You can REALLY have fun with these products, and e.l.f. gives you a lot of product in such a small tube! For $1 (or in my case $5 for what feels like an endless supply) you can try every one and keep the creativity flowing forever.


Beauty Newb Rating:✪✪✪✪✪
Available at eyeslipsface.com

Just a quick shoutout to the followers: YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks for the comments and support. It's so much fun to do this, so I'm glad you all like it! Happy, happy Friday!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment